View Single Post
Old 2006-02-09, 00:50   Link #38
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I have questions, because the company I work for "may" be transferring me to Japan in 6 months or a year.

They say they give 70000 yen monthly allowance... so I ask will I survive with 70000 yen/month? Suppose I have free lodging, and maybe food is the only major purchase everyday, will I still have money to save? How much is typical food in Japan anyway?

70000 yen allowance is already a hefty amount over here, as opposed to even "work salary" which is equivalent to 10000-30000 yen in this country.
Compare with this:

I get paid 400,000 yen per month.

Majority of that disappears to rent and utility bills (gas, water, electricity, satellite TV subscriptions, phone, mobile phone, internet, petrol for car, insurance, etc.). I have the other remaining 100,000 yen to spend on food, clothing, my own interests (obviously - anime, manga, ero-games, and related merchandise), and I'm done for that month.

Supposed that lodging and transportation expenses to work (trains) are provided, sure 70,000 yen should get you by. You'll probably need to quickly learn cost managing skills like finding cheap prices in ads for the local supermarket and learn basic negotiating skills for mom-and-pop grocery stores though. Learning lingos such as "time-service" (when stuff becomes tagged 10-15% off by the store employee an hour or two before the supermarket closes) and shopping at Uniclo for clothes will probably be needed as well.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote