View Single Post
Old 2006-01-10, 00:55   Link #74
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Fan fiction is hardly any ideas. Fan fiction is practicing applying icing on a cake. When you don't have the luxury of an existing idea and an existing fanbase, it is FAR more difficult. Writers that write for an established franchise? Debatable...after all, they are not creating their own fanbase, but jumping on a bandwagon to have a head start. But most of the time, those writers are creating their own characters. In a way, it's a huge double standard because they profit from the sale of another person's idea, but oh well...I don't have too much respect for Star Wars authors either...every author essentially has their own ideas, and you can call none canon, so I don't even bother with Star Wars authors...to me, it is glorified fanfiction.

As I said, it takes little to no skill to build upon an existing fanbase. Let me make an analogy here: fanfiction is like icing a cake. Writing in an established universe is baking a cake with a generic recipe, and writing wholly original is like making your own recipe.

The only time I would ever condone "an established universe" writing is when that writing is the actual canon story behind something that otherwise contains little to no story (EG trading card games).

Once a universe has a hardcore story, it's still glorified fanfiction. Respectable for writing it and getting it published--but nothing beyond that.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote