View Single Post
Old 2006-01-10, 00:01   Link #71
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura
You still have yet to prove the existence of your so-called cardinal rule. Show us at least two sources that prove its worthiness of being followed. People want to write what they want to. Who are you to dictate what they can do and cannot? Please, if you dislike it then spare us your comments. There are people here who appreciate this sort of thing for what it is.

Oh, yes, and one last thing. Point out your highly exclusive collection of "good" fanfics for our criticism/critique, if you feel proud enough of them to talk about them in such glowing terms. Go on.
Ranger General and Blood Leprechaun, by J_CAE. There were some in the Soul Calibur section, I forget what they were called, but they're all M rated, and one author is called Jade_Phoenix or something to the extent. I have a discontinued fic called Shadows of Soul Edge which got reviews for me just sneezing on it, but I moved on...

As for my cardinal rule being followed, well...couldn't find examples of that (if someone puts up a guide on writing fanfiction, I don't know what to say), but I did find some mary sue litmus tests along the way.

As I said, I don't care much for fanfiction at all. It takes absolutely no skill whatsoever to build upon a character that whoever created the original storyline has built sympathy for anyway. Even the slightest stories, such as the one in soulcalibur 2, are enough for all of the hard work to be done by somebody else. It's the worldbuilding and getting people to believe that your characters are "real" ala show human traits enough to be believable.

If you're going to write about K x L, they're already there for you. They've already been developed.

I mean consider this: people were proclaiming how great my Soul Calibur (xover with war3 was, gogo Illidan) story was, and yet, when I tried original writing after that, I fell flat on my ass and had to rewrite the chapters of my original work.

Unless somebody is absolutely AMAZING as a fanfiction writer, they will NOT hold my respect. Especially now that I have the eye of a writing critic and look for things like infodumps, unnatural dialogue, show--don't tells, overuse of adverbs (or use in general, except as dialogue modifiers), etc...

Most fan writing REALLY starts to suck after you become half-decent at original writing. It's like being amazed with higher-end mathematics and how fascinating it all seems, with all of these new theorems, higher-dimensional methods of problem solving, and all of that, until you get there and it just becomes as simple as the old stuff and it's not this "great place in the clouds" anymore.

This is why the wise are cynical. What little kids stare at wide-eyed in their innocence, someone else says "been there, done that...not that great,"

It's like saying "I can't wait to grow up" when you're little, then you grow up, get a car, work like a dog, have no free time, realize just how silly little kids are, and your life sorta takes a downturn.

Same deal with fanfiction. You think it's cool, but from my standpoint, it's skilless amateur dawdling. Want to read respectable writing? Go to the bookstore.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote