View Single Post
Old 2011-01-26, 12:07   Link #9
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
But I wonder why there isn't any fansubber chat in forums any more. I agree that the ease of programs like Aegisub has taken a lot of the challenge out of the technical side of fansubbing, but surely there are still some debates we can have? I mean, we all (more or less) enjoy fansubbing or else we wouldn't fansub, right? I don't understand why there isn't more discussion on the various intricacies of something we all (pretend to) enjoy.
People realized (at least subconsciously) that in this day and age, trying to have a serious debate on the internet about something like fansubbing is completely fucking pointless except if done only for trolling purposes, and if you want to troll people it's a lot easier to just go to /a/ and start a shitstorm there. Also, as I said, the only ones left are old bitter trolls (not interested in debating their opinion with anyone because it's extremely firmly entrenched and they just laugh at anyone who disagrees) and twelve-year-olds (not interested in debating because they're twelve years old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The reason is because hardly anyone enjoys fansubbing anymore.
Now of course the question is: Why? What happened that made people stop enjoying it?
Fansubbing has always been shit, but I don't think that more people hate it now than in the past (relatively speaking). It's just that in this postironic era it's finally socially accepted to say it, and since the new fansubbers (who haven't realized that fansubbing sucks yet) aren't posting anymore, the old bitter trolls make it seem like they're the only ones left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Why do we still do it if we don't enjoy it then? Surely there's no e-peen left in it... and yet, groups are still releasing stuff.
Personally I'm in because cool people I enjoy hanging out with are doing it, it occasionally creates amusing drama, and it takes very little of my time. Also, Internet Fame. You might not get it for fansubbing anymore, but there are other, related, ways.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote