View Single Post
Old 2010-03-19, 02:37   Link #39
kwantum0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I know I know, some of you guys are about to complain, but the magic in toaruverse is not the same as just pull stuff out of your arse. Alot of background information comes from real-life historical individuals, events, and artifacts... Just added a little storywritting twist. Many of these are quite fascinating to read about. So yes, you can think about it as a history and literature lesson, in addition to math and science.
I've never actually considered the to aru magic to be actual 'magic'. I work a lot with quantum information systems, and relate the magical abilities in the to aru world to be more like symbol manipulation. This gets into a whole bunch of Meta arguments and stuff like that. More interesting though, is how magic operates through ignorance of what's going on, similar to not observing quantum systems. The actual manipulation of reality is one step removed from understanding through the language and geometry. There are really weird quantum effects that can be utilized with unobserved systems: superposition, entanglement, tunneling, (and then a bunch to do with information). So when I am watching an episode which uses magic, I just imagine them manipulating meta-quantum phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block
kwantum0, teleportation in the Index-verse works more like hyperspace/slipspace jumps. Objects using this method do not experience the relativistic effects of FTL travel, as they are still traveling at subliminal speeds inside slipspace.
Yeah, from watching Kuroko in the anime, i guessed that she was not traveling FTL (she takes so damn long). The idea of extradimensions acting as slipspace makes sense to me, and can explain teleportation, but can you tell me that in the entire pantheon of Index abilities there is not a single FTL power? Curse you Kazuma!

The Omnipotence Paradox was a very nice insight. I had known about such an argument, but i complete missed the relation to Touma's ability. (at the same time I don't read much of the manga, so i probably don't know as much as others on this forum). I don't know if you've heard about this, but in information systems, there is something known as the principle of computational equivalence. An implication of this is that there is a threshold of maximum complexity that a system can obtain. We can imagine Touma's ability as being above this limit. Something which is slightly more complex than the highest possible complexity. This would make the mechanism of his ability virtually unknowable, and also have the nice side effect of being able to absorb entropy (since it would have a negative entropic value) aka. other abilities and or powers. Actually, since we can assume it to be permanent, it would be more like a topological defect in reality.
kwantum0 is offline   Reply With Quote