View Single Post
Old 2009-10-21, 21:07   Link #48
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Aye, second gen is 2001. it was 2001-2002 for starting date of group. With second gen we saw the start of typesetting to take hold, xvid, bt, and of course after-effects coming into play. Another reason it was second gen was cause it was the era where the original groups saw groups formed made up of staff that split from them, i.e. soldat, live-evil, etc...
For me, the big difference between 1st and 2nd generation was the working order. The 1st generation groups I had experience with -- from the inside (private channel, etc.), they had a strong leader and a rest-of-group that was primarily focused on releasing 'popular' shounen anime. Not interested in it, you'd head off on your own track, work with whatever help you could muster to subtitle an episode to the point of release. And then be told 'way too girly... we can't release this...', and that would be the end of it.

Second-generation groups were composed partly with people who were dissatisfied with the several 1st generation groups, but mostly with new recruits. Their leadership was generally weak to nonexistant, and their working order could be summarized in 'you sub it, we release it'. Generally this would involve splitting into 'working groups'; individual teams of a translator, editor, checker, encoder, etc. -- within the original group and based on individual preferences. Things would get done, things would get released, people were generally happier, basically you started seeing a lot more genres represented than the typical shounen fare like love hina or vandread. 2nd generation groups were also more open, many staff would freelance or openly belong to multiple groups. Less paranoia and security measures all around.

1st generation groups, active, there were only several. 2nd generation groups, about 20 active ones (more toward the end). 3rd generation groups, more than 50. There was a lot of overlap, in terms of time -- many 1st generation groups survived well into the 2nd generation era (with their structure intact) and many 2nd generation groups are still active today.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote