View Single Post
Old 2009-10-18, 04:35   Link #39
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Their network, their rules... that's basically what it came down to. I think this policy is still in effect even today.

The crux of the issue was that back then many fansub distros (primarily IRC fserves) would also host DVD rips of local DVDs, and fansubs that had since been licensed, both of which ETG did not want.

If you want to make the rules, you started your own network. If I remember AC actually had its own network at some later point, irc.animeco.com or something similar. Though this wasn't really b'cos of ETG's restrictions.

And Quarkboy is probably right, at least in part to their reasoning. It's not like all the ETG admins wanted to let on the fansubbers, there was some general disagreement among them. Just that, in the end, fansubbers were allowed to come on regardless. Myself, I don't debate the history or the morality of it, I just report it as I remember it. People can argue semantics all day long, and nothing will be accomplished by it.
You also forgot that back then fansubbing wasn't part of the script kiddie scene so much. It wasn't as great an evil, and pretty much every net allowed it as long as it was the unlicensed ppl AKA "fansubbers" and not the "rippers" who generally gravitated towards the kiddie warez scene and brought all of its joyous troubles along. Not to say that some fansubbers weren't packetmonkeys in those days since there were a number of chan botnet attacks, take-overs, and the fact that the xdcc bots back then were for the most part all rooted boxes. Just saying that it was an acceptable evil to the network owners in those days since no matter what chan joined a network it had a certain degree of that type of nonsense.

IRC has gotten a lot less volatile in recent years.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote