View Single Post
Old 2009-08-06, 22:19   Link #7
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
All I know is what AniDB tells me, and it tells me that Crest of the Stars (Winter 1999 season), Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures (Spring 1999), and Infinite Ryvius (Fall 1999) were subbed by AnimeHaven, HighQualityAnime, and Anime-Kissaten, respectively. But I wouldn't know if those were subbed approximately when they aired. or a year or two later. There is AnimeFactory's Pilot Candidate (Winter 2000), but release dates in the eps show they were released in August of that year.
Love Hina was certainly among the first to be 'oversubbed'. Honestly the first I have a solid memory of is Candidate for Goddess and then Vandread. Everything else was before I started paying much attention. I vaguely do remember seeing Crest of the Stars, and there are others who claim to be even earlier than those groups, but no real evidence to back it up.

Prior to that, it was all video capture of VHS/SVHS fansubs.

And Zalis it wasn't unheard of to have a leecher (back then) request just that, that your group release an episode or even an entire series right away when the show had not even aired in Japan. Perhaps they figured it was like in the US where TV series episodes are produced 3-6 months in advance and un-aired episodes sometimes shown at conventions / events / etc. before being shown on TV. Or movies, ie. wolverine where the movie gets leaked to the 'net before it is even shown in the Theatres.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote