View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 10:31   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Personally I never thought Horo was as strong as she tries to show. It felt more tied to trying to present a "god-like" presence and demeanor towards those around her (and especially to Lawrence), but there are little bits and pieces of scenes that pop out during important and stressful moments that further hint that some of her strong-willed maturity is very good acting.

Under it all is really just a person who's either been glorified by people who don't really understand or vilified for her supernatural status. The curse of a god methinks, that you exist on heightened existential plane that very few mortal humans are capable of understanding, let alone reach. As the cliche goes, it's lonely at the top.

And when you're alone at the top... well... Horo might just be the last of her kind, and I can't begin to imagine the metaphysical problematic of realizing that you're the last surviving individual of your race.

In other words, not only has she been an object of wonder beyond the reach of humans and therefore has never truly interacted with them, she now realizes she is essentially alone. She perhaps never really considered Lawrence as a lifelong companion because... well the spans of their lives are radically different. She realizes that no one is left to bear the anguish of an extended life where she has only met people lives and deaths are only blinks of an eye to her.

Lawrence is probably the closest person ever who has attempted to reach and understand her, treating her more as an equal than a god. I can believe that Horo doesn't really want to be exalted; she just wants to be accepted. Believe it or not, being accepted is much harder than being exalted.

I guess even gods get lonely too.