View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 01:23   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
You see this "gray area" becomes more gray every time we discuss spoilers. A few months ago we were discussing against people putting most things in spoiler tags and now I'm sort of with the idea that "when in doubt, put it in spoilers or else the mods will come after you with angry fists." What I'm trying to say is, I'm slowly reverting back to my old ways of "you can never be too cautious" and thus putting most of what I say into spoiler tags. When will this end?
Well, signatures are a different issue than threads. The reason I referred to a "grey area" there is because whether something is a spoiler depends on the thread you're posting in.

If you see a moderator impose an infraction in contradiction to the spoiler policy or of the thread-specific rules, it should be reported to an admin. The mods will only come at you with an angry fist if you: a) post source material spoilers in an adaptation thread, b) give away a major future event, c) persist in discussing off-topic issues, and so on. I haven't noticed an increase in "false spoiler" infractions, but I haven't been watching for it either. Now that you mention it, I will keep my eyes open for it.

The other thing is, not all moderators/admins are familiar with every series. If someone reports a post as a spoiler (using "report post"), a mod/admin who isn't sure may choose to delete it to be on the safe side. But those are the cases where people should write back and say "no, actually, that wasn't a spoiler".

But anyway, that sounded more like a rant than constructive criticism on your part. The policy is never going to "end" so long as people don't want to be spoiled. If it's applied inconsistently, though, that should be fixed and end as soon as people report the specific cases. Sometimes people can be overly-aggressive in trying to protect people from getting spoiled.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote