View Single Post
Old 2008-05-17, 04:17   Link #35
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Lol whuts this? I thought TheFluff had already written a segment linking thread a long long time ago @_@.

I seriously hope the segment linking/ordered chapters/etc goodness catches on. It's been available within Haali's splitter for well over two years, probably more I have totally forgotten. No ones fault but the developer's for not implementing it by now. As someone already said, it's not going to get implemented all on its own if no one is using the feature at all. This seems to have been the case so far. I wouldn't expect mplayer/vlc to suddenly just add the feature before its usage increases, that train already left a long time ago. However if a larger number of files do start using it either one of the devs will find the need to write the code (because many of the files they are trying to play use it...this is how most opensource projects go imo, devs don't code things they don't use themselves typically) or some enthusiastic person who also really wants the feature added will write the code and send it to the mailing list. Then probably spend a few weeks fixing the codes to the devs liking before getting it applied :P.

Now that people actually know about the feature and how to use it (/me blames self for not writing some stupid guide years ago) the tendency to use it is likely to rise. You should be encouraging more people to use it so it has a higher chance of getting implemented. Otherwise you are just going to get stuck with the small growing percentage of files that have it, while you still don't have the feature implemented into your player. Also I seriously doubt you could find something which will "only play" on Linux. Typically code from these types of opensource projects are written in a platform-independent way. No one wants to use something which is hardcoded to a single platform, it has no way to grow that way. This feature is by no means platform dependent to Windows, it is simply that no one on your team (I lawled when I wrote that) has taken the time to do it :P. So pulling the "only plays on Windows" doesn't ring that true in this case. Also it's not some hidden closed proprietary standard that no one knows about thus no one can code anything without figuring out how to reverse engineer the process. Ask some people nicely for the feature and you might get it. Only reason it's not there now is because it requires....uggg effort.

Haali isn't exactly proprietary either, if you ask him nicely he will also show you things.

Possibly the most useful thing I find about segmented linking is the huge bitrate savings. Sometimes those OP/EDs can be killer, and are seriously just downgrading the quality of the files if you are unfortunately stuck to "archaic" standard file sizes. Of course this comes at the price of having only a single OP/ED to link to, which I'm sure angers the "real" fansubbers that enjoy credits which change every episode.

/me hopes to take the plunge into using linked OP/EDs in the future
I'm glad martino and a few others have started.

As to the whole segmented linking + Vorbis issues, I think if we put our heads together we could figure out what small bits to h4x in the Vorbis headers so the codecprivate data is similar, which is the only reason Haali's splitter isn't linking the segments. Afaik this should have no effect on the stream itself, consulting with Haali I'm sure would result in more answers. Since it will only abound with problems (even if just for the encoder) while he re-encodes the audio over and over until the codecprivate data matches with the OP/EDs he already released weeks ago. Until this simple "flaw" is worked around, I think it would be best that the encoders stick to using AAC. Since it is typically the codec used in almost all Japanese broadcasts anyways, if you are lucky enough to get a nice raw/TS.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2008-05-17 at 04:27.