View Single Post
Old 2008-03-13, 17:11   Link #83
Oxtail

Love the series, but I thought this episode was lackluster. The Horo/Lawrence interactions were great, as usual, but everything else seemed off.

The whole story is about the adventures of a wandering merchant. I was hoping they'd find some crazy business scheme to get him out of debt. Instead we're left with gold smuggling. If it were that easy and lucrative to smuggle gold and if Lawrence really had as few qualms with it as he appears to, then it makes me wonder why he wastes his life earning pennies on furs and wheat when a few gold transactions could buy him the house he dreamed of. It just seemed off in the context of the story. And the fact that he instantly knew how to sucker poor Nora into the plan seemed all too convenient and a bit out of character. Smuggling gold is a pretty serious crime, but it seems to be treated as just another business venture.

Maybe I'd be more OK with it if he spent more time debating the morality and difficulty of it, but the whole scheme seemed to pop out of nowhere.